Sunday, 12 October 2014

A Hot Summer Night


Standing at the window
you slip your arms around my waist
and kiss my bare shoulder
I lean back into you
and lay my head on your chest

How softly the night
folds around us
The moon, sleepy yet, rises,
grandiloquent in her
lace patterned negligee
beguiled by the gloaming

Bats, necromancers of the night,
flittering fragments
of darkness,
excite the sullen summer air
as they frolic, reveling in the gloom

The sweet smell of moon flowers
glissades through the window
carried on the chorus 
of crickets
singing to arouse the stars

A moth seduced by the
candle light
flurries into the room
throwing shadows across
the walls
as it flutters and pirouettes
around the flame

I hold my breath
spellbound
You place your hands
on my shoulders
run them gently down
my arms
and cup my hands in yours

lifting up my hands
you scoop up the flailing moth
and ever so tenderly
you close my cupped hands
around it

Confined between
our hands the moth
 vibrates and thrashes
I feel the pulse and throb
of its wing beats
against my palms

I feel too the pulse and throb
of your heart on your palms
pressed against my hands
Its beat, familiar, like that
of velvet wings

You blow out the candle
and open my hands
the moth clings to my palm
blowing gently
you release it into the night

You draw me into you
I feel your heat
my heart flutters

 Encircled in your arms
 I begin to understand
the burning desire
of the moth 
to kiss the flame
©Rose


18 comments:

  1. Rose, this is so sensitively composed and very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment I appreciate it :)

      Delete
  2. Oh Rose...this made my cry. Truly.
    Such tenderness...such beauty...it evoked a need for something so necessary, yet just out of reach...and that magnificent picture...utterly mesmerizing...:)
    Oh WOW!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and so fatal...
      Thank you Ygraine for your lovely comment :) xxx

      Delete
  3. This to me continues your haunting moments...sigh...very romantic Rose.

    I'm glad to see you're still here writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Gnome, good to see you here too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hum.... I mean WOW.... This is truly a romantic poem. I liked it. See, after reading each stanza, I was suspicious what would you describe the next and you know, it was intricately design. Your words and descriptions were so amazing that it created me a kind of romantic night-mood. Keep writing. I will visit when I have the time.
    I hope you are doing well. Thank you for dropping the message on my page. It has always been a pleasure for me to have a versatile poet and writers like you read my page. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dumcho for reading! I do so enjoy your posts although I seldom get round to visiting my
      favourite blogs these days :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Ashok for your comment and for taking the time to read :)

      Delete
  7. What a romantic and enchanting description of a summer night!
    Here we have hundreds of bats flying around the house as soon as the night falls on us. More than one have dared come in.
    We have seen innocent moths die approaching the seducing yet dangerous bulbs/flames/light...
    Does love save us or does it kill us together with our dreams...? Anyway, there must be no sweeter death than that.
    In your beautiful poem, the moth is released into the night.
    The last stanza is full of beauty and passion, specially the last three lines:
    "...the burning desire
    of the moth
    to kiss the flame."

    Happy New Year, dear Rose.
    A hug.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Dulcina for your lovely comment, I am by now an expert at catching bats and releasing them back into the night :) Love, well, who knows? Desire is the sweet silent killer :)
      Happy New Year to you to dear lady, I wish you the best of all you wish for :)
      Hugs xxx

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year, dear Friend!
    Here's hoping 2015 proves to be your happiest and most successful year yet.

    Lots of Love and Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Ygraine!
      I wish you a very happy 2015 may this be your best year ever :)

      Delete

Welcome!! Thank you for your visit and for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.